This document includes an application, to be filled out by the applicant, and a copy of the reference form, to be filled out by three different references. All materials should be sent to email@example.com
Application and References are due on July 1
Your application to the Motor City Mission Corps is complete once we have received the following:
- Completed application
- Completed reference form from three references
Part of our process involves getting an idea of how you interact with others that you have worked with. We ask you to submit one of each kind of reference:
- Personal - can be a friend or relative, should be able to speak to your character and values
- Professional or academic - should come from a supervisor, experienced coworker or instructor who can speak to your attention to detail and ability to conduct yourself in a professional environment
- Leadership - should come from someone who supervised you in a context where you had some leadership responsibilities
The Ideal Candidate
People aged 18-30. Some college education is preferred but not required. This is a very flexible experience, those at any point in their education, pre-undergrad to graduate are encouraged to apply.
A Christian religious commitment is not required for the program but a willingness to engage in Christian spiritual practices and be part of a Christian religious community is an important part of our program.
What characterizes Motor City Mission Corps volunteers?
- Willingness to look critically at yourself, your history and patterns of behavior
- Eagerness to put faith into action in a way that impacts communities
- Believe one can make a difference in and around Detroit through his or her work
- Want to develop as leaders in the context of service
Applications (with references) received are reviewed and screened for basic eligibility. Successful applicants will be contacted for an initial interview with the Site Coordinator.
The initial interview is intended to continue the process of discernment, seeking the best fit between volunteer and program. If, at the end of this interview, both parties feel like they want to continue in the process we will contact your references. Successful interviewees will be contacted for a panel discussion with the site coordinator and a couple members of the working group [link to working group list].
Panel discussions are intended to establish the best fit between the applicant, other volunteers with whom they will be living and potential placements. Regional candidates are encouraged to attend their discussion in person, accommodation will be made for those from further away or unable to travel.